Well readers, it's been awhile, eh? There's no real reason behind my lack of writing - it's just that once you fall off the wagon, it's a hard climb back on.
But thankfully, a bet with a friend has been made, and my part of the deal is blogging every day. If I don't, I get deported. Not. Ha! Palestine joke!!
Life has been as much the usual as it can be (and that's about 80% max) in a place like this. I go to work, I come home, I go to the gym or don't, I spend a fair bit of time in my glorious hammock, and days slip into weeks slip into months and I have been here for almost 1.5 years - .5 years longer than my former longest stay abroad at one time.
The thing about this place is, I adult-ed here. It finally happened. It was the car that did it - owning something of (dubious) value finally flipped the switch. Something about having to take care of something - even if it's a total POS 2001 Renault Clio. And thus life turned into the long view, and time stretched out. I now am not in a phase anymore - I am cruising on a highway where the next exit is death. Thus, I feel more inclined to take my time, and not just rush on to the next big thing.
Let me tell you one quick story before I sign off:
Today was a great day. While my gentleman friend slept in, I woke up early to lend a girlfriend some dresses for a date tonight then dropped her off at the office on my way to get a coffee and shop for breakfast supplies. I love, love, love driving and grocery shopping while drinking a coffee. Came home, made banana cinnamon pancakes and then invited my downstairs neighbor up for brunch on the terrace. Aforementioned gentleman friend rose from his slumber to a very tall stack of pancakes. The three of us ate on my terrace, munching in the breeze with the insane view spread out in front of us, then gentleman friend (GF) and I sipped our coffee in the hammock and snoozed a bit. My best friend called, and we met her at a gorgeous hotel pool in town to spend the afternoon lying out and swimming and watching the scene in Palestine slowly but surely morph into Dubai or Amman. All four of us there had our Kindles. I read a great new book. We had pool bar lunch. There was a breath-holding-underwater contest. It was 10 minutes from my house. We then had delicious iced coffees and bruschetta at a fancy new coffee place down the road from the hotel on the way home. A girl can dream.
I came home, ordered a BBQ chicken pizza and munched dinner on my terrace while reading my book in my hammock. Fell asleep (of course). If you don't do it, napping in a hammock on a regular basis can change you life. I strongly suggest making it a priority.
Ended the evening with my regular poker game. Lost 75 bucks, but came out winning.
You see - I had a really typical, suburb-esque day today. That's the thing. That's the thing that makes me not insane yet.
More tomorrow, including observations from my recent 6-day hospital stay! The thrills!
But thankfully, a bet with a friend has been made, and my part of the deal is blogging every day. If I don't, I get deported. Not. Ha! Palestine joke!!
Life has been as much the usual as it can be (and that's about 80% max) in a place like this. I go to work, I come home, I go to the gym or don't, I spend a fair bit of time in my glorious hammock, and days slip into weeks slip into months and I have been here for almost 1.5 years - .5 years longer than my former longest stay abroad at one time.
The thing about this place is, I adult-ed here. It finally happened. It was the car that did it - owning something of (dubious) value finally flipped the switch. Something about having to take care of something - even if it's a total POS 2001 Renault Clio. And thus life turned into the long view, and time stretched out. I now am not in a phase anymore - I am cruising on a highway where the next exit is death. Thus, I feel more inclined to take my time, and not just rush on to the next big thing.
Let me tell you one quick story before I sign off:
Today was a great day. While my gentleman friend slept in, I woke up early to lend a girlfriend some dresses for a date tonight then dropped her off at the office on my way to get a coffee and shop for breakfast supplies. I love, love, love driving and grocery shopping while drinking a coffee. Came home, made banana cinnamon pancakes and then invited my downstairs neighbor up for brunch on the terrace. Aforementioned gentleman friend rose from his slumber to a very tall stack of pancakes. The three of us ate on my terrace, munching in the breeze with the insane view spread out in front of us, then gentleman friend (GF) and I sipped our coffee in the hammock and snoozed a bit. My best friend called, and we met her at a gorgeous hotel pool in town to spend the afternoon lying out and swimming and watching the scene in Palestine slowly but surely morph into Dubai or Amman. All four of us there had our Kindles. I read a great new book. We had pool bar lunch. There was a breath-holding-underwater contest. It was 10 minutes from my house. We then had delicious iced coffees and bruschetta at a fancy new coffee place down the road from the hotel on the way home. A girl can dream.
I came home, ordered a BBQ chicken pizza and munched dinner on my terrace while reading my book in my hammock. Fell asleep (of course). If you don't do it, napping in a hammock on a regular basis can change you life. I strongly suggest making it a priority.
Ended the evening with my regular poker game. Lost 75 bucks, but came out winning.
You see - I had a really typical, suburb-esque day today. That's the thing. That's the thing that makes me not insane yet.
More tomorrow, including observations from my recent 6-day hospital stay! The thrills!
No comments:
Post a Comment