Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A Long September (and there's reason to believe)

Much like the Counting Crows song I quote above, this September promises to be a long one. It will without question go down in the history books...hopefully for good stuff, likely for bad.

Unless you've had your head under a rock (or have been subject to American media, which is sadly quite a similar thing), you've heard that Palestine is planning on a Statehood bid at the United Nations General Assembly this September (if you need more info, decent BBC Q&A here). This means that Israel is getting its feathers all a-ruffle. This ruffling means that Israeli settlers are being trained and armed ahead of 'mass disorder' expected in September, checkpoints are already getting worse than usual, and I am both freaked out by and excited for what will be a hopefully really lovely and victorious month. Right.

So not much more to say about that. Once again, I truly feel it's a privilege to live in the Arab world during this time. I've been watching the Arab Spring blossom around Palestine while we remain in an Eternal Winter. Hopefully, September will yield unseasonably late blooms for this little country.

No comments:

Post a Comment