My photographer friend M. is in Egypt photographing the elections for various news agencies. She's been putting her stuff up and it's INCREDIBLE - worth 20 minutes of your time, I promise. You can see her photos here.
She was also in Egypt for the revolution and says the tear gas and such is much worse this time, which adds legitimacy to the rumors that the authorities are using stronger, more laced stuff. Though I sit in Kigali in a green mountain paradise right now, you can bet I am thinking of the folks in Egypt. I've been talking to a lot of people here about the Arab Spring and why it didn't spread to Sub-Saharan Africa, and in general the response has been the same as in Palestine - war-fatigue. Burundi and Congo and Rwanda and Uganda experienced such sustained unrest for so long, that now that things are (mostly) peaceful, people just want them to keep chugging along. Can't fault anyone for that.
She was also in Egypt for the revolution and says the tear gas and such is much worse this time, which adds legitimacy to the rumors that the authorities are using stronger, more laced stuff. Though I sit in Kigali in a green mountain paradise right now, you can bet I am thinking of the folks in Egypt. I've been talking to a lot of people here about the Arab Spring and why it didn't spread to Sub-Saharan Africa, and in general the response has been the same as in Palestine - war-fatigue. Burundi and Congo and Rwanda and Uganda experienced such sustained unrest for so long, that now that things are (mostly) peaceful, people just want them to keep chugging along. Can't fault anyone for that.
No comments:
Post a Comment