Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Signs around town: New York it ain't

Though China definitely wins at this game, Ramallah too has some great signs and names of things, mostly due to the fact that few if any corporate chains actually exist here, despite people wanting them. Some examples:

  • No Starbucks? That's ok: get your coffee at Star and Bucks coffee shop, in downtown Ramallah (the logo is quite similar)
  • Eager to stay in a friendly hotel environment? Well, Best Western isn't here, but Best Eastern sure is!
  • Crumbs bakery (www.crumbs.ps); obviously someone here took a liking to NY's favorite cupcake chain
I'm sure there's tons more, so Ramallah-based readers, chime on in with your faves. I too will add as I see them. My favorite of all time is still in Amman; I guess calling Dunkin' Donuts by it's name there wasn't popular because Jordanians thought it was a Zionist-backed business, so they just changed the name to Dippin' Donuts, kept the logo the same, and opened shop right up on a main circle. Sneaky bastards...

2 comments:

  1. Yo! Tell Bob Kraft I say what up! And that he should swing by Ramadan Hotel!

    ReplyDelete