To put it short, business suits seem so passe, especially as I fold mine tenderly into my garment bag. All business attire does. It has the musk of the 1980's about it, that sickly sweet smell of fast money and class-climbing. Look at the people truly changing the world, truly kicking ass - they're wearing jeans and tshirts. Who ever said to be taken seriously you have to wear a suit? That seems to me like the same people who said to make money you have to be in investment banking, or the same people who told me I had to take math to get into college. WRONG. Suckers. Bring your brain to the table, c'est tout.
I know many people who wear nice suits. Car salesmen. Goldman Sachs employees. Funeral parlor workers. Do you want to be any of those people? Good, me neither.
After having finally shed the 'business casual' of my last job, I am now in a deep love affair with the purely casual office. I'm comfortable, I don't spend time thinking about what I wear, I don't spend money on it, and instead I truck to the office in my jeans, get my work done, and truck on home. No fussing. No people endlessly judging each other. I haven't opened up an email from Gilt Group in months. All that seems like a weird hazy dream...I really spent that much money on Tahari? I really cared and noticed what my coworkers wore? Wow...the shame. Actual shame I am feeling as I write this. Who gives a shit? Sweatsuits for all, let's get cracking!
I thought i'd shed the suit at the new gig and sometimes i do show up casual, but i find that i actually like dressing up a bit for the office. who knew?! So, yesterday i wore a lovely black and white top, white blazer, black pants, springy peep toes and a fun chunky red necklace. i felt sassy, put together and productive. and my coworkers in their jeans, socks and sandles were comfy too. all was good for everyone i say, to each his (or her) own.
ReplyDelete:)
I agree wholly. To each his/her own. Can't gap and gucci get along???
ReplyDeleteps, white blazer, sharp!!
ReplyDeleteWord big bird. I used to wonder on the days when the bosses at our old office would be out for a retreat and we'd "get" to wear jeans. Who were we dressing up for? The boss? The boss wears pink socks for chrissakes!!
ReplyDeletePathological infantalism, dude. It's all part of it. Mom and Dad are gone so we can wear play clothes!
ReplyDeleteWell, had you taken math in college... or paid attention that day in 5th grade when they explained military time just keeps going after 12... you'd be unstoppable ;)
ReplyDelete