Thursday, September 22, 2011

Statehood or Intifada...or Status Quo

There's without question something in the air in Ramallah (and the rest of Palestine).  There's drums banging from the rally in the main circle, cars are bedecked with Palestinian flags, clouds of tear gas and a fun new 'sound bomb' weapon are a constant presence at the checkpoints. Yesterday I drove around in ski goggles because the clouds of tear gas were so bad.  This afternoon settlers threw rocks at my car as I tried to get into Jerusalem using the diplomatic checkpoint - until I rolled down my window and screamed at them 'I'm American you stupid assholes!'.  That was fun.

Yup, it's finally happening.  My friend who has lived here for four years says she has never seen it like this in all that time - the thousands of people rallying, the patriotism, the electricity in the air.  We'll see what happens tomorrow - I'm picking my bud up at the airport, pulling out our 'UN 194: Palestine' t-shirts* from where I have strategically hidden them so the soldiers don't find them when they check my car, and hightailing past the terrifying settlements, up the village roads, and into the heart of the next revolution.

Bismillah!

(*Note on the tshirts: what is it about being American that the first impulse upon being present at any important (or frankly, unimportant) event, be it a declaration of statehood or a 5K fundraising run, is: GOTTA GET A TSHIRT.  Literally.  Ever since the whole statehood campaign started all I can think is tshirt, I need more tshirts, what are the coolest tshirts.  What an idiot I am.  That being said, I have some wicked sweet tees...and I know you're jealous.

No comments:

Post a Comment