I've been in a real self-centered dreamspace recently - I went on an Italian extravaganza with some friends where we ate, drank and bought far too much, then on the plane back felt very weird about coming home to HERE, and not America - and then fell into a media hole where I spent hours lying in my hammock listening to This American Life. Not a bad place to be in, but for how long can you swim underwater, really?
I was knocked back into consciousness today because a man tried to self-immolate himself and his 7 year old daughter in the main Ramallah square, about five minutes from my house. This was at ahe lit protest over the extraordinarily high prices in Palestine. Thank God people were able to stop him before he lit the match - but imagine being that seven year old who knows her dad tried to set her into flames.
I often go on about the beauty and compassion I see in the world, but underneath it all, the world is a really wrong place to be in, and it's only getting worse. The pathological economic inequality - jeesh. I know in the DNC speeches last night the metaphor of a relay race was used - that families pulled generation forward as they built up success over the years. This generation, my generation, might be the first generation that can't pass the baton.
I was knocked back into consciousness today because a man tried to self-immolate himself and his 7 year old daughter in the main Ramallah square, about five minutes from my house. This was at ahe lit protest over the extraordinarily high prices in Palestine. Thank God people were able to stop him before he lit the match - but imagine being that seven year old who knows her dad tried to set her into flames.
I often go on about the beauty and compassion I see in the world, but underneath it all, the world is a really wrong place to be in, and it's only getting worse. The pathological economic inequality - jeesh. I know in the DNC speeches last night the metaphor of a relay race was used - that families pulled generation forward as they built up success over the years. This generation, my generation, might be the first generation that can't pass the baton.
No comments:
Post a Comment