Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Oh, you're on Facebook?

The street is not afraid of governments anymore,” said Shawki al-Qadi, an opposition lawmaker in Yemen, itself roiled by change. “It is the opposite. Governments and their security forces are afraid of the people now. The new generation, the generation of the Internet, is fearless. They want their full rights, and they want life, a dignified life."
-Quoted in New York Times, February 2, 2011

I have always thought Facebook and Twitter are sort of a crock, useless ways to waste time that only highlight the level of inanity that US culture is lucky enough to have time for.

But, not here. Not a crock here. Some crock, but mostly POWER. That type of communication, that type of group power, is immense in places like, for example, Morocco, where its best practice to get a government permit and be registered to gather in groups of more than 10 to discuss something if you don't want to get arrested. No permits virtually! Group away.

One vignette to close this 3 am ramble out (jet lag, what). I was Facebook friended by a Jordanian colleague circa 2007. His message in the friend request was 'surprised to see you on Facebook'. I asked him about it at work the next day, this surprise, and he just didn't think it was popular in America yet. At least, not as popular as in Jordan.

Ownership. Love it.

I didn't correct him.




1 comment: