Sunday, February 6, 2011

What's the US media saying about Egypt?

I really don't want to get political on this blog, as my situation is so inherently political that actually discussing seems almost overkill. I live here. When even something as entirely boring as getting a piece of missing luggage delivered becomes a strategy game akin to the Cuban Missile Crisis, you get enough politics on a daily basis.

However, however, man oh man Egypt is just blowing my mind. I tear up when I watch the news and read the paper. God BLESS Egypt for showing the world that the one of the largest and most historically and politically powerful Arab nations on the planet can stick to her own moderate guns. Muslims and Coptics coming together in protest, yeah. Women and men protesting shoulder to shoulder, uh huh. Citizens taking it upon themselves to clean their streets, guard their neighborhoods, care for their wounded and feed their hungry, AMEN.

Preach it, Cairo.

I have no idea how the US media is portraying what's going on. I have the idea that the pundits on Fox News are declaring Doomsday, CNN is being frustratingly conservative, and everyone else is happy but holding their breath.

Don't do it. Breathe out. Breathe in. Let the Egyptians fight their own battles--knowing what it was like in Egypt, the freedom to do just that is without question an intoxicating responsibility for her populace.

Egypt is trying real hard to have an adult to adult conversation with both itself and the rest of the world. The best we can do it pull up a chair and join in.

No comments:

Post a Comment